Welcome to the AMI Annual Salon
The Salon is the annual exhibition of medical art created and produced by members of the Association of Medical Illustrators displayed at the site of the Annual Meeting. It is an impressive showcase for the most recent achievements in medical visualization. For examples of previous Salon entries, visit the 2022 Salon.
The deadline to submit to the 2023 AMI Salon is 11:59 pm PST on Thursday, June 15.
New for 2023:
- New Platform:
The Salon entry and judging processes will be managed through a new platform, Award Force. The new and improved system allows for supporting material uploads within the system and changes can be made up until the deadline on June 15, 2023.
- New Categories:
- Medical-Legal Salon categories have been expanded to better reflect the types of work in that area. 2023 is a pilot year for these new categories – feedback will be gathered and assessed for next year.
- A new, optional cross-category award, titled Social Impact Award, has been created for entries that address diversity and challenges not limited to race, age, body type, and disability. Entrants may choose to be considered for this award and provide a Social Impact Statement up to 1,000 characters. This is separate from the Intended Purpose Statement which is required.
- A Fine Arts category has been added this year. Professional, Associate, Emeritus, or Student members of the AMI may submit pieces of Fine Art that they would like to share with the membership for display during the Salon. As with the rest of the Salon, only digital prints will be accepted; do not send original art. This category is to showcase our members’ fine art; there will be no judging or awards given to these entries. Each member may submit up to two pieces into this category, which will not count against the two judged categories entry limit.
- New Ways to Display Entries:
Categories historically displayed via the Digital Salon towers (F1-F4, G1-G4, L, M) will instead be featured during a scheduled viewing session and viewable as MP4 files within the online gallery. The self-view monitors will not be present in the Salon area.
Instructions for Entering Salon
- Entrants should thoroughly review Salon instructions prior to submitting an entry form in Award Force. The details provided in the entry form will be the information used for judging and the Salon Display Label and cannot be adjusted once the deadline has passed.
- All deadlines, rules and regulations will be strictly enforced.View 2023 Salon Instructions
- Individual and Multiple Illustrator Submissions – The Salon is open to all Professional, Associate and Student members of the AMI. Multiple Illustrator Submissions should have each AMI Member credited on the Salon Entry Form. Contributors who are not AMI Members may be credited but cannot be the primary entrant and are not eligible for awards.
- Corporate Submissions – Companies and institutions may submit entries under the company name. To be considered eligible, the company must employ a minimum of two current AMI members. One of the AMI members must submit the entry. Awards for Corporate submissions will be given in the company name, not in any individual’s name.
Entry Process Chronology
- Submit your entry along with payment via the online entry form at awards.ami.org. The exact wording you submit on the entry form is what will be used by the judges to evaluate your entry and what will be displayed next to your art on the Salon Display Label.
- Review all instructions carefully and study the “Glossary of Terms” to familiarize yourself with the importance of completing information correctly, giving particular attention to how you title your work.
- Watch for email confirmation of your Salon registration. If you submit and have not received confirmation, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prepare traditional entries for display and shipping (see details under “Artwork Preparation – Traditional”). For Animation and Interactive entries for upload (see details Under “Artwork Preparation – Motion and Interactive Media). All digital files will be uploaded in Award Force.
Note: A PDF packing slip will be generated in Award Force – you will need to print and attach to the back of your artwork so that it can be identified when it arrives. AMR will print the official Salon Display labels and the Salon Hanging Taskforce will affix them next to your artwork.
Salon Exhibition - On Site Information
The in-person Salon Opening will be held from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm PT on Wednesday, July 19
Wednesday, July 19, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Thursday, July 20, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
Friday, July 21, 8:00 am – 7:00 pm
Saturday, July 22, 7:00 am – 12:00 pm
Salon Dismantling and Artwork Pick-up:
Saturday, July 22, 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm