2022 AMI Online Salon
Why Do Turtles Bask?
- Entrant Name: Lilas Armstrong-Davies
- Client: The National Aquarium
- Copyright: Lily Armstrong-Davies, 2022
- Medium/software used: Graphite on Bienfang Graphics 360, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Final presentation format: Poster
- Primary Audience: General public
This illustration serves to communicate the less commonly known reasons that freshwater turtles bask, as well as the temporal relationship between their basking behavior and water temperature. Since the illustration is intended to be a poster for the general public, the turtles and anatomy are simplified and stylized to be recognizable to a wider audience. I depicted both a basking and swimming turtle to compare and contrast their conditions, but visually emphasized the basking turtle with higher contrast and warm colors to imply the health benefits of basking. The background and water are depicted two-dimensionally to reduce visual distraction and place additional emphasis on the turtles. Finally, the bottom schematic provides data with visual interest by including line-work turtles, my goal being to engage an audience of all ages.