2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Dino Pulera
- Client: self-promotion
- Copyright: Dino Pulera, 2019
- Medium/software used: graphite pencil, Photoshop and InDesign
- Final presentation format: This piece was also designed to resemble an info graphic often found in a popular scientific magazines like National Geographic and Scientific American
- Primary Audience: general public and biologists
This is a self-promotional piece distributed during the winter holiday season. It was hoped that this illustration would engage and inform a general or scientific audience in a didactic way about the anatomical features that penguins have evolved to withstand living frigid Antarctic conditions.Dozens of scientific papers were reviewed to not only to penguin anatomy but also the anatomical and physiological adaptions and mechanisms that penguins use to survive and thrive in extreme cold environmental conditions. I visited my local natural history museum to take reference photos penguin specimens to acquire a greater appreciation for their external anatomy. I also watched numerous documentaries about penguins to get a better understanding of how they swim underwater and the appearance of their environmental surroundings.