2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Colleen Paris
- Client: Faculty Advisor: Shelley Wall
- Copyright: Colleen Paris, 2021
- Medium/software used: Autodesk Maya, Pixologic ZBrush, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Final presentation format: Print, two-page spread in a popular science magazine (e.g., Scientific American)
- Primary Audience: Educated Lay Audience
The immune system plays a key role in the progression of multiple sclerosis (MS). Although normally designed to protect the body from harm, people with MS have an immune system that attacks the nerves in their body and contributes to the deterioration of myelin, the protective coat surrounding the nerves in the central nervous system. I created this illustration as a two-page spread for a popular science magazine. The primary purpose was to educate a lay audience on the role of the immune system in MS, and how it contributes to the pathological change of the disease over time. The illustration depicts several key players of the immune system ‘“ including T cells, plasma cells, and macrophages ‘“ and details how each contribute to the myelin degradation that is characteristic of MS.