2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Kimberly Knoper
- Client: The New England Journal of Medicine
- Copyright: Massachusetts Medical Society, 2020
- Medium/software used: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- Final presentation format: Printed and online journal
- Primary Audience: Medical residents, physicians, and health care providers
The goal of this piece was to visually summarize the procedure in three steps. First, give readers an understanding of the anatomical location of the surgical incision, then depict the anatomy causing the patient’s symptoms (the Superior cerebellar artery is compressing the Trigeminal nerve root), and then show the modification resulting in resolution of symptoms (the vessel is moved and a sponge inserted to keep the pulsating artery from coming in direct contact with the nerve root).