2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Eric Chung
- Client:Faculty advisors: Dr. Shelley Wall & Dr. John Wong
- Copyright: Eric Chung, 2020
- Medium/software used:Affinity Publisher, Photoshop, Blender
- Final presentation format:2-page magazine spread
- Primary Audience:Educated lay audience
This illustration is meant to capture the attention of an educated lay audience, in delivering key information about the pathogenesis of infective endocarditis, a microbial infection of the heart. The cardiac valves are typically the primary target, particularly the mitral and the aortic, but the endocardium of a cardiac chamber or the intima of a great vessel may also be infected.The left-most side of the spread conveys the histological changes at a very high level; to support the structural nature of the disease, a data visualization is included to indicate the relative changes in thickness in cardiac valve layers. The right page shows an intermediate view of the valves, to reinforce the information from histological progression. Combining these visualizations with the widest view of the heart is intended to reinforce the biomechanical impact of the disease.