2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Marli Markovitz
- Client:The American Journal of Bioethics
- Copyright: Marli Markovitz, 2021
- Medium/software used:Adobe Photoshop
- Final presentation format:Print Journal Cover
- Primary Audience:Readers of the AJOB
This editorial illustration is intended to accompany an article written by physician and professor of medical ethics, Dominic Wilkinson, titled, “Frailty Triage: Is Rationing Intensive Medical Treatment on the Grounds of Frailty Ethical?” Wilkinson argues that frailty-based triage would not represent unjust discrimination on the grounds of age or disability. This article also assesses frailty-based triage during the COVID-19 pandemic. This illustration depicts a physician using a ventilator tube as a “rope” to save the “fit” individual from falling down a mountain. The “frail” individual is seen leaning on a rock in the background.