2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Valerie Altounian
- Client: Science magazine
- Copyright: American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2020
- Medium/software used: Cinema4D
- Final presentation format: Journal article, print and online
- Primary Audience: Subsribers of Science and viewers of Science’s online presence
This illustration ran with a policy article discussing how DIY vaccines raise legal and ethical questions. The article uses the example of an intranasal vaccine against COVID-19 that a citizen scientist collaborative produced and administered to themselves. This illustration is intended to capture the unregulated, anyone-can-do-it attitude behind these vaccines. Depicting molecules and scientific tools as plastic twist-off pieces like those found in toys or games is meant to illustrate the oxymoronic nature of a DIY vaccine. The authors provided suggestions for items/molecules to show.