2021 AMI Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Jennifer E. Fairman
- Client: Manisha Loss, MD
- Copyright: Johns Hopkins University, 2020
- Medium/software used: Graphite, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Final presentation format: Patient Education / Instructional Handout
- Primary Audience: Patients
When the demand for COVID-19 testing increased, providers needed to adapt testing methods to accommodate inconsistently available swabs and variations in patient’s anatomy. There was limited instructional material on how to obtain a nasal mid-turbinate (NMT) or Deep Nasal swab and how it compared to the nasopharyngeal swab (NP). The NMT technique offers flexibility for use of larger swabs and reduced length of swab penetration into the nares, making self-swabbing more accessible to patients. This series of illustrations teaches patients the difference between an NP and NMT/deep nasal swab test. It also instructs patients how to conduct a deep nasal swab self-collection for COVID-19 testing.