2021 AMI Online Salon
Cervical Cancer – A Public Health Awareness Campaign for the Caribbean Region
- Entrant Name: Wes Price
- Other Contributors: Sue Simon
- Client: Women in Medicine Student Organization
- Copyright: Nicole Lekach, 2021
- Medium/software used:Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition
- Final presentation format:Video for Display in Doctors’ Offices, the General Hospital and Public Health Lectures.
This animation is a sample of a larger Public Health Awareness Campaign tailored to the Caribbean Region. The campaign demystifies the causes and effects of the Human Papilloma Virus while encouraging women of all ages to receive regular gynecological exams to prevent the development of cervical cancer. Cervical cancer ranks among the highest rates globally and is disproportionately affecting women in low-income communities. Grenada itself carries a high cervical disease burden and associated mortality rate. In collaboration with health experts of Caribbean origin, we co-wrote a script which includes regional language cues and lay-audience vocabulary. We illustrated assets to reflect local characteristics and staged animations with subtle humor to resonate with the Grenadian audience using personally recognizable situations. The campaign focuses on best practices for prevention and aims to fill the need for more culturally appropriate health education materials in the Caribbean region.