2020 Online Salon
Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) Biopsy
- Entrant Name: Nancy Chu Ji
- Membership Type: Associate Submission
- Address: Hamilton, Ontario Canada
- Client: Tencent Holdings Ltd.
- Copyright: 2020 Tencent Medipedia
- Medium/software used: Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- Final presentation format: Mobile application
- Primary Audience: Patients
As part of our collaboration with Tencent Medipedia, a mobile application with an encyclopedia of disease and surgeries, this illustration was created for the written entry to provide information on video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) biopsy.
During this procedure, different types of biopsy tools are inserted through the endoscope to obtain diseased lung tissue for lab examination.
The procedure section from the original article had terminology and descriptions that might not appeal to a larger audience. The goal of our illustration is to bridge the communication gap between patients and their doctors so that the procedure can be more understood easily.
Since limited screen resolution (1384 px by 650 px) was given to communicate the story, key steps from the procedure were represented.