2020 Online Salon
The Vestibular System
- Entrant Name: Ali Ennis
- Membership Type: Professional Submission
- Address: Athens, Georgia USA
- Client: Gaylen Edwards, DVM, PhD
- Copyright: 2020 University of Georgia and Ali Ennis
- Medium/software used: iBooks author, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, Maxon Cinema 4D, Pixologic Zbrush, Tumult Hype
- Final presentation format: iBook
- Primary Audience: Second Year Veterinary Students
The goal of this interactive book is to help veterinary students and practicing veterinarians envision how the vestibular system functions and can be affected by specific diseases. Veterinary students often have difficulty understanding the vestibular system, and in their future practices, they will commonly encounter animals with conditions that adversely affect the vestibular system.
The vestibular apparatus senses the position of the head in space, as well as angular and linear acceleration of the head. When the head changes position or accelerates, the vestibular system functions to appropriately adjust the body. The interactive elements help engage readers by allowing them to visualize what occurs in the vestibular system as the head position and speed changes.