2020 Online Salon
Researchers and physicians teaming up against COVID-19
- Entrant Name: Isabel Romero Calvo
- Membership Type: Professional Submission
- Address: Oak Park, Illinois USA
- Client: The University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center, Pathways to Discovery Magazine
- Copyright: 2020 Morphology LLC
- Medium/software used: VMD, Autodesk 3ds Max, KeyShot, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Final presentation format: Digital magazine cover
- Primary Audience: Health Science Professionals
This cover was designed for the Special COVID-19 Edition of Pathways to Discovery, the University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center magazine. The purpose was to communicate the informed team effort between researchers and physicians to combat the pandemic.
A challenge was to integrate a molecular scene within a daily activity. To achieve this goal, I created accurate 3D models based on Protein Data Bank (PDB) and protein alignment data and placed this composition within the screen of a tablet, surrounded by 2D vector-graphic hands of a diverse group of physician-researchers working together to understand the mechanisms of infection of the virus.
The screen shows the binding of the surface spike glycoprotein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (PDB 6VXX 6VSV) to an angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 receptor (PDB 6M17) on a human type II alveolar cell. The vibrant color palette contrasts the viral and human proteins. The contained composition draws the eye to the molecular interaction.