2020 Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Eleanor Bailey
- Membership Type: Professional Submission
- Address: Boise, Idaho USA
- Client: Healthwise, Inc.
- Copyright: 2020 Healthwise, Inc.
- Medium/software used: Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
- Final presentation format: Patient Instruction document, Digital and Print (color and B&W), 4″x6″
- Primary Audience: Patients, general public
This image is part of a Patient Instruction (PI) document given to a patient by their clinician before a pelvic exam. The PI explains what it is, how it’s done, why, and anything the patient should tell their provider before the exam. The PI is for all patients, so the text has a reading level of 6th grade; similarly, the image is clear and comprehensible regardless of a patient’s education. It prints clearly in B&W and at a small size to accommodate clinic facilities. Some anatomical features have been omitted because they do not help the patient orient to their own anatomy—e.g., patients may find the clitoris to be a better landmark for orientation than the pubic symphysis, which is entirely internal and may not be easily recognizable to an average patient. Consequently, the bony anatomy has been omitted. Medical terms were used in labels to encourage the patient to become familiar with these terms, but “Labia minora” has been further described in the caption as a “fold of skin”.