2020 Online Salon
Ovarian Follicle Growth and Maturation
- Entrant Name: Emilyn Frohn
- Membership Type: Student Submission
- Address: Chicago, Illinois USA
- Client: Leah Lebowicz, Evelyn Maizels
- Copyright: 2020 Emilyn Frohn
- Medium/software used: Autodesk 3DS Max, Pixologic ZBrush, Keyshot 9, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Final presentation format: Poster, 24″ x 13.5″
- Primary Audience: Researchers and medical professionals
Ovarian follicular maturation is a complex orchestra of morphological, endocrine, and temporal relationships. This poster aims to depict the major stages of follicle growth and development, from primordial follicles to corpus albicans, in one concise visual. A major challenge was accurately depicting the follicles’ temporal relationships over the course of a lifetime and within a typical 28-day cycle.
On the left, a column of the early follicles, independent of the 28-day cycle and its hormones at these stages, are shown progressing through normal morphological changes that occur throughout life. A horizontal axis of follicles proceeding through a typical 28-day cycle shows major morphological and endocrine changes that occur only after puberty. Color-coding and scale bars help the viewer track the follicles’ growth and development over time.