2020 Online Salon
Life Cycle of the Flower Hat Jelly
- Entrant Name: Emily Cheng
- Membership Type: Student Submission
- Address: Baltimore, Maryland USA
- Client: Jack Cover, Tim Phelps, Jeff Day
- Copyright: 2020 Emily Cheng
- Medium/software used: Photoshop, Illustrator
- Final presentation format: Poster
- Primary Audience: General lay audience visiting the National Aquarium
The complete life cycle of the Flower Hat Jelly (Olindias formosus) has never before been documented. This comprehensive poster illustrates the different major life stages of Olindias formosus. Several insets depict unique characteristics of the jelly. The mature flower hat jelly is the center of the piece. Major life cycle stages are shown from fertilization to second stage medusa, accompanied by graphic elements and detailed descriptions that progress through each stage. Relative scale bars are included.
The insets are created in a flat graphic style to avoid detracting from the main life cycle illustrations. Each inset focuses on anatomical features that allow the jellyfish to perform a specific behavior. This piece (24x30in) is meant to be viewed as a poster and the text is adjusted to be legible to the viewing audience, with the smallest readable text size at 14pt.