2020 Online Salon
How Loud is Too Loud?
- Entrant Name: Meredith Newlove
- Membership Type: Professional Submission
- Other Contributors: Dan Higgins, Meredith Newlove, Stephanie Rossow
- Address: Atlanta, Georgia USA
- Client: CDC
- Copyright: N/A N/A
- Medium/software used: Illustrator, InDesign
- Final presentation format: 12-page PDF
- Primary Audience: Elementary and middle school-aged children
How Loud is Too Loud? is a web- and print-ready comic in CDC’s Ask a Scientist comic series, released on CDC.gov and distributed in elementary and middle schools. The larger-than-life, Steampunk-style learning adventure introduces our young audience to the importance of protecting your hearing. Through visual metaphor, the story delves into the complex anatomy and physiology of the human hearing system and illustrates three ways to prevent hearing loss: Turn it Down, Protect Your Ears, and Walk Away. Laila, Brian, Debbie the Sound Level Meter, and Dr. Salazar encourage us to apply what we have learned to our daily habits, no matter our age.