2020 Online Salon
Homunculus patagonicus iOS Application
- Entrant Name: Kellyn Sanders
- Membership Type: Student Submission
- Address: Holland, Michigan USA
- Client: Jonathan Perry
- Copyright: 2020 Kellyn Sanders
- Medium/software used: Unity, ZBrush 2019, Cinema 4D R20, Blender, and Xcode
- Final presentation format: iOS Application
- Primary Audience: The primary audience for this application will be scientific colleagues, PhD, Masters and undergraduate students conducting research on primatology and mammalian evolutionary biology.
This iOS app is designed to provide an innovative approach to present clear visual anatomical information about Homunculus patagonicus (species) in an interactive environment. The app uses 3D models, illustrations, animation and augmented reality (AR) to illustrate 3D anatomical relationships of the cranial and maxillofacial bones and muscles of a never seen 17 million year old fossil. The fossil was reconstructed using Micro-CT data from Argentina, with the intention of recreating an average representation of the species. The accessibility provided by this AR app allows users to directly compare related specimens enabling the assessment of size and diet, which are critical in fossil primate analysis. The user has the ability to bring the digital species to the field, museum, lab or classroom, making the app fully adaptable to each users’ unique goals and research. The video walk-through demonstrates the simulated use of the app by a typical user.