2020 Online Salon
- Entrant Name: Siwen Wang
- Membership Type: Student Submission
- Address: Chicago, Illinois USA
- Client: UIC Simulation and Integrative Learning Institute
- Copyright: 2020 Siwen Wang
- Medium/software used: Adobe Illustrator 2020, ver. 24.2.3
- Final presentation format: Double-sided print handout
- Primary Audience: Medical students, nurses or other healthcare professionals who need training in performing urinary catheterization.
This illustration aims at depicting key steps in a Foley catheterization procedure and covering steps performed differently between different genders. It is an image support of its text counterpart so minimum text was included.
The critical concept in this procedure is to use the non-dominant hand to hold the genitalia while maintaining the dominant hand sterile throughout the main procedure, therefore reducing infection risks. This procedure also has an emphasis on using three separate sterile cotton swabs to clean the genitalia, and the way of cleaning differs between genders.
Technical requirements of this assignment include: creating the line diagram in Adobe Illustrator, containing both organic forms (e.g. hands) and geometric forms (e.g. equipment). Black and a color of our choice could be used. Orange-ish yellow was chosen as the second color in the final illustration to give a sense of urine.