2020 Online Salon
Concepts of twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) – Nathan and Marcus Smith
- Company/Institution: Artery Studios, Inc.
- Submission Type: Company/Corporation Submission
- Other Contributors: Sherry Lai, Jennifer Bosy, Kim Chin, Dino Pulerà, Stephen Mader
- Address: Toronto, Ontario Canada
- Client: Personal Injury Lawyer
- Copyright: 2019 Artery Studios, Inc.
- Medium/software used: Graphite/Photoshop/InDesign
- Final presentation format: Jpeg/poster/prints
- Primary Audience: Litigation participants – judge, jurors, lawyers, medical experts
Exhibit panel created for use by the plaintiff in a medical malpractice obstetrical failure-to-diagnose jury trial. The lawyer requested an exhibit to depict the concept of twin-twin transfusion syndrome. Issues of TTTS included demonstrating the connection of blood vessels in the placenta, the physiological process that causes this syndrome, and a comparison of the outcomes of the twins. This panel served as key demonstrative evidence to support the medical experts’ opinions against the defendant obstetrician who failed to monitor the pregnancy on a regular basis and neglected to refer the mother to a specialist for treatment. Delivery was spontaneously triggered prematurely and both twins were compromised as a result, including from the intrauterine environment.