2020 Online Salon
A Novel Approach to Ablation Therapy
- Entrant Name: Cassio Lynm
- Membership Type: Professional Submission
- Other Contributors: Cassio Lynm
- Address: Stoneham, Massachusetts USA
- Client: Affera, Inc
- Copyright: 2019 © Affera, Inc
- Medium/software used: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Final presentation format: Online, Print
- Primary Audience: Specialist and General Cardiology
A series of illustrations was created for a medical device company investigating a novel ablation approach using a high-power, low-current radiofrequency ablation catheter (Sphere-9/Affera, Inc).
One key challenge in creating focal lesions is to do so with adequate coverage and depth, yet minimal-to-no injury to surrounding anatomy beyond the epicardium. In these selected illustrations (published in 2 research articles), 3 moments in cross-section were selected to compare the capabilities of a conventional ablation catheter and that of a novel expandable, lattice-structured catheter, in both thick and thin tissue applications.
Dynamic semi-realistic rendering is combined with clear color differences, measurements, and labeling to help the reader compare the researchers’ experimental findings regarding the dimensions of resistive and conductive heating—aspects that have different tissue injury profiles, and which create distinct, lasting lesion patterns.