2018 AMI Online Salon
- Artist(s): Sam Bond; Chicago, Illinois
- Client: University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Physical Therapy
- Copyright: © 2018 Sam Bond
- Medium / software used: Built with the Unity game engine. Assets developed with Adobe Illustrator.
- Final presentation format: Smartphone app for Android and iOS
- Primary audience: Physical therapists/clinicians using cardiopulmonary exercise testing
Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing (CPX) is a standard of care in a number of patient populations. Often, CPX results can be assessed by distinct variables for both individual areas of concern and overall condition. However, with fast-paced clinical environments, a variety of data types, and a lack of visual cues, interpreting this data is daunting at best and impossible to understand at worst. This smartphone app serves as an on-site calculator for clinicians using CPX in order to quickly and accurately interpret this bulky, complex data in a time-sensitive environment. After inputting patient results, clinicians can view a numerical analysis or a single-color output to represent the patient’s condition, both for individual variables and overall. They can also see a calculated interpretation of those results. Using smooth animations, straight-forward UI techniques, and a consistent red-to-green color scheme, the app can provide effective visual insight into a patient’s condition.